This recipe is a perfect salad to make as we eagerly move into Spring. It is delicious warm but is equally delightful cold for easy-to-pack lunches on the go. I was inspired by all the newly budding trees and flowers and felt like finding light, fresh and impactful ingredients that truly shine together.
The lightness of this dish is incredible for how full you will feel after eating it. I love the pairing of Brussels sprouts and pears, the careful balance between sweet and savory will have you going back for more. A squeeze of lemon is all that is needed to dress this nutrient packed salad.
Once you have everything chopped it’s really just combining everything together in the pan. It’s easiest if you have the quinoa cooked and all the ingredients chopped before you start cooking, that way the timing of everything can just flow!
Warm Brussels Sprout & Pear Salad
Vegetarian • Vegan • Gluten Free
Ingredients1/2 Cup uncooked quinoa
1 Cup vegetable broth
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 Cup diced red onion
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 lbs. Brussels sprouts, chopped
2 Pears, diced
1 Cup garbanzo beans
1 Cup spinach, chopped
2/3 Cup chopped walnuts
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- In a small pot over high heat add 1 ½ cups of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling add ½ cup uncooked quinoa. Turn heat to low, cover, and let simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender
- Prep Brussels Sprouts by cutting off ends and roughly chopping into smaller pieces
- Add olive oil, onion, and garlic to a pan over medium-high heat and sauté until fragrant
- Add burssels sprouts to the pan and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes
- Turn heat to low and add quinoa, pears, chickpeas, spinach, walnuts, parsley and lemon juice. Salt & pepper to taste
- Gently stir all ingredients in the pan and cook for another 10 minutes